It’s no surprise that I love decorating for holidays and always enjoy making a new wreath! In the spring I was dying to make a cotton boll wreath, but alas, it’s the wrong season to find cotton bolls or anything cotton related at craft stores. I tried looking at the local craft spots a few weeks ago, but Michael’s was already sold out, and seasonal stuff isn’t restocked. Luckily I found a shop online with great prices, and cotton was on it’s way to me.
Cotton Boll Wreath
What you’ll need:
- 6 Cotton boll floral sprays
- 18″ Grape vine wreath
- Floral wire
- Wire cutters
Since 12 cotton bolls were all attached on one floral spray, the first thing I did was cut them down into small pieces with ~2-4 bolls per piece, using my wire cutters.
I attached the cotton pieces to the grapevine wreath using small pieces of floral wire, twisting in place where needed. I slowly worked my way around the wreath…
After I made it all the way around, I still had ~1.5 of the floral sprays left, so I cut those down and continued to attach the cotton pieces to the wreath where it looked like it needed more until I was out of cotton.
I wasn’t sure how much cotton I would need, and at one point thought maybe I had enough for two wreaths, but I was wrong. If they were smaller wreaths, I bet it’d be enough, but I wanted a fuller, 18″ wreath for my front door. Using all 6 of the floral sprays, this is what I ended up with:
At this point, I just needed to hang it on our front door to replace the anchor door hanger for fall. After I hung it, I decided it needed something else, and added the galvanized W Maggie gave us that I had used in my boxwood wreath. Voila — much better!
Our front door and parts of the house are officially ready for fall! Better late than never..