If you’re looking for a fun weekend getaway, you should check out Greenville, SC. We go to Greenville a few times each year to visit friends & family, stay before Clemson games, attend a lot of weddings, and it’s always a good time. After visiting again for my uncle’s wedding and being around family members who hadn’t visited the city, I thought I’d put together my suggestions for a fun weekend in the Upstate.
- Aloft Hotel – A modern hotel right off Main Street in a newer section by Tupelo Honey, Anthropologie and Orvis.
- Marriott Courtyard – Right next to Falls Park on the Reedy River, and closer to the West End area.
- Westin – The Westin is basically at the center of Main Street, and convenient to several shops and restaurants.
Things to Do
- Bike the Swamp Rabbit Trail – The Swamp Rabbit Trail is a paved trail that runs from Greenville past Furman University, to Traveler’s Rest. You can rent bikes from several shops downtown, and go as far as you want. If you have the whole morning, bike to Traveler’s Rest for lunch and then come back.
- Shop Main Street – North Main Street has several local shops, restaurants and boutiques to check out including several art and antique stores with great gifts.
- Farmer’s Market – Saturday mornings from May to October you can enjoy a Farmer’s Market at Main Street & McBee. It’s a great place to check out and grab breakfast before starting your day.
- Visit Falls Park – The Falls Park on the Reedy River is a fun place to enjoy a sunny day. There’s walking paths, as well as a bridge over the water with pretty views, and plenty of space to lay down a blanket and have a picnic or take a nap.
- Mice on Main – There are 9 bronze mice along Main Street that you can find. Mast General has information for the hunt, and you can buy your own lil mouse to commemorate the search.
- The Lazy Goat – A nice restaurant for a night out above the Reedy River. Uncle Mark loves their goat cheese balls as a starter, and paella.
- Mary’s Cottage – Literally on Falls Park, it’s the perfect place for lunch or brunch. Sit outside on the patio overlooking the falls if you can. Watch out for them being closed for special events (like bridal luncheons).
- Grill Marks – Your place for burgers, fries and shakes. They have a covered patio if it’s raining. Get a milkshake to go.
- Local Taco – Off Augusta Road and home of delicious tacos and margaritas. Plus guacamole.
- Brick Street Cafe – Also off Augusta Road, come here for lunch and their baked goods. The sweet potato cake is to die for.
- Nose Dive – Part of the Westin, Nose Dive is a 2 story restaurant / bar. Needless to say the upstairs is the fun part at the end of a night, while downstairs has great brunch.
- Sip – A rooftop bar off Main Street with a great wine selection. When the weather is nice it’ll be busy, but worth it if you grab some lounge seating.
- WXYZ – The indoor / outdoor bar inside the Aloft hotel (4th floor) complete with fun live music on weekends.
- Carolina Ale House – The typical sports bar that is great to watch any game. When the weather is nice the upstairs is opened up to be like a patio.
- Barley’s – Over 70 craft beers on tap and great pizza. Get a flight of beers and a seat upstairs looking out the window over Main Street for some fun people watching.
When you visit Greenville, what are your favorite spots? I’d love to know for the upcoming football season…